Compliance Officer (Re-Advertisement)
Compliance Officer (Re-Advertisement)
Type of Contract
Fixed Term Contract
Zimbabwe Health Interventions (ZHI) is a not-for-profit human development organisation which is registered as a Trust under the Zimbabwe Deeds Registries Act (Chapter 20:05). ZHI’s mission is to develop and deliver innovative and sustainable high impact integrated health interventions with local communities while working with and strengthening existing institutions.
Working under the supervision of the Senior Compliance Officer, the Compliance Officer is primarily responsible for supporting the project teams in ensuring that all financial transactions are legitimate, authentic, adequately supported and are in line with the ZHI financial management policies, funder rules and regulations, local laws, and regulations, generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP), Cost Accounting Standards and any applicable guidelines. The role will support the Senior Compliance Officer in managing internal and external audits, ensure compliance with ZHI’s internal policies and procedures, donor rules and guidelines as well as Zimbabwean statutory requirements. The position will work closely with finance and administration teams to ensure that documents submitted by technical teams for workshops and other field advances are error-free. He/She will also conduct trainings for field and national office teams on financial management issues as well as ensuring compliance at field office level. From time to time, the Compliance Officer will be expected to travel to the field for compliance monitoring.
• Assist the Senior Compliance Officer in determining the internal audit scope and development of annual audit plans.
• Conduct reviews of financial transactions to ensure compliance with ZHI policies, funder rules and regulations and any applicable standards to ensure there are no disallowed costs by the funder.
• Identifies any significant financial risks and recommend plan for mitigation.
• Develops forms and templates for use by ZHI staff for financial reporting and ensure these are correctly completed.
• Advises management on matters of concern and elements of financial risk that can be detrimental to successful grant performance.
• Supports the technical teams with budgeting, budget realignments, budget tracking and monitoring, activity costing and any other issues requiring financial support.
• Conduct periodic compliance reviews on field offices to ensure they are compliant with the ZHI policies and procedures and grant terms and conditions as well as the applicable funder rules and regulations.
• Carry out regular reviews on sample supporting documentation from vendors and staff before disbursement of payment.
• Carry out surprise cash counts and spot checks on ZHI assets.
• Advise the tender committees on compliance issues during the selection process.
• Coordinate the response to audit matters and issues raised during financial reviews by internal/external auditors and/or the funder through the maintenance of a tracker
• Train project staff in standardized procedures for efficient financial management through the development of flowcharts and templates.
• Supports sub-award close-out.
• Ensure the organization maintains an up-to-date asset register and a functional inventory management system.
• Monitor all statutory instruments, legislation, policies and regulations relevant to the financial operations and administration of the organization (e.g. finance, tax, labour) and advise the management and board accordingly, as required and appropriate.
• Conduct other general finance/administrative functions as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
• Excellent communication and reporting skills and good team player capable of supervising a team.
• Excellent time management skills with the ability to proactively self-organize manage and execute multiple tasks.
• Effective networking skills with the ability to solicit and adopt good practices within the sector.
• Strong sense of professionalism always adopting sound and ethical behavior and able to maintain confidentiality.
• Advanced knowledge of donor (USG and non-USG) rules and regulations, generally acceptable accounting practices (GAAP), cost accounting principles and any applicable local laws and regulations.
• Strong and solid command of professional theory, techniques, practices and procedures requiring comprehensive knowledge of financial and accounting principles.
• Independently use technology to perform work. Ensure integrity of systems, internal controls and data, including recommending modifications for further strengthening as indicated.
• International development, healthcare, or consulting industry experience preferred.
• Analyze highly complex situations (e.g., high risk conditions or business-sensitive issues) and alert leadership to impact on performance.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Good team player, positive attitude, flexible mind, comfortable in working in a multi- cultural setting.
• Strong sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and respect for diversity.
• Ability to communicate effectively with staff and management with diplomacy and firmness.
• Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Qualifications and experience
• Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent in Accounting, Business Administration or Related Field coupled with 3-5 years post qualification relevant experience.
• Graduate of ACCA, CIMA, ICSA, SAA, IAC, CA or any other relevant professional qualification.
• Familiarity with U.S. Government grant rules and regulations, procurement and auditing standards, experience in risk management and internal auditing and certification in accounting, auditing or related field will be an added advantage.
• Certification in accounting, auditing or related field will be an added advantage.
Step 1: click here to complete the job application form.
Step 2: Submit your CV and application letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating the position you are applying for on the subject of the email.
During the application process, ZHI will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. ZHI is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical handicap or financial ability.